Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Raw Milk-not for human consuption-wink wink

One day, I wondered into a fruit and vegatable stand by my house to buy some veggies of course.  It is owned by a local farmer, so besides veggies, they also carry free range eggs and yes raw milk.  The first time I saw it, it intrigued me especially when it said it was only for animal consumption-therefore humans should not drink it.  So what did I do, I bought it and drank and OMG it was soooo yummy.  So I kept on drinking it.  Before this monumental moment, I hardly ever drank milk.  I really didn't like it.  But I loved this milk.  The best part is the 2-3 inches of creme at the top-perfect for a peppermint latte:)

So now I am curious, if this milk is good for me too.  One thing I noticed right off the bat is it helped my digestion.  I did not read about this, I just experienced it.  Instead of a water or apple juice based smoothie, I started making milk based smoothie and my stomach liked it so much better.  To be clear, I wasn't getting indigestion.  With that experience, I decided to do a little research.  This is what I found. 

"we took a closer look at the claims made by groups like the FDA and CDC that raw milk is “dangerous”. We found that, though the relative risk of becoming ill from drinking raw milk is about 9 times greater than it is from drinking pasteurized milk, the absolute risk of developing a serious illness (i.e. one that would require hospitalization) from drinking raw milk is exceedingly small: about 1 in 6 million."http://chriskresser.com/raw-milk-reality-benefits-of-raw-milk.

Well That is worth the risk for me.  So why should I risk it?  What are the benefits.

1.  Others besided myself also think it is super yummy.
2.  It has a higher nutrional value.  Milk that has been pasturized kills many nutrients.
3.  Statistically people are more tolerant of raw milk than pasturized milk
4.  There is substantial epidemiological evidence from studies in Europe that consumption of raw milk during childhood may protect against asthma, allergies and other immune-mediated diseases" 
5.  Buying milk from a local farmer supports the community
6.  It is more sustainable.   "Consuming milk that is produced by local farmers using sustainable methods has far less of an environmental impact than drinking milk produced in large confinement feeding operations thousands of miles away."

There is it in a nutshell.  The important thing is to choose for yourself and listen to your body.   Please do you own research.  "http://chriskresser.com/raw-milk-reality-benefits-of-raw-milk

No comments:

Post a Comment