Monday, July 14, 2014

Black Berries.....SCORE


 

I have lived here for over 7 years and anyone who knows me knows that I am all about the free food from Mother Earth.  I don't know how this has escaped me, but I have never found a super great blackberry patch with berries plump, juicy and just the right sweetness ....until today.   And I have not told you the best part, there is no competition except for the bears of course.  And of course, I will leave plenty for them.  No, I am not going to tell you where I found them.  THEY ARE MINE....and the bears:)

What do you know about blackberries besides they are yummy and full of antioxidants helping boost the immune system to protect against desease.  Well they are also germ fighters.  Black berries have a high dose of ellagic acid that has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.  And blackberries benefit the brain.  Being high in antioxidants, "they fight free radical damage in the brain;  affect cell signaling between neurons and reduce cellular inflammation. This improves the functioning of neurons involved in both thinking and motor control."  I hope this works for me!

quote from  2012 review published in the "Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry"

No comments:

Post a Comment